2.07.2007

you should . . . see wordplay

Wordplay is a movie. Wordplay is a movie like Spellbound. Did you see Spellbound? It was about a subculture of endearing, lovable little dorks. In Wordplay, the dorks are still lovable, but they are all grown up, and they love crossword puzzling (also, baton twirling). Wordplay made me want to become a crossword puzzle doer. I mean, if Jon Stewart and Bill Clinton both do the New York Times Crossword, it must be cool. So I tried one.
First, you can’t access today’s New York Times crossword for free. It’s thirty-five dollars for a subscription. So instead, I got a random puzzle from the archives. At first, I was worried that the archived crossword would be from the 1920s or something, and the words would be like, “jalopy”, and “porkpie hat”, and “flappers”, but it wasn’t like that. Instead, it was boring, like most things that movies and tv shows are about (even documentaries), doing things in real life is nowhere near as cool as watching it from your couch. Just like working for the CIA probably involves a lot more paperwork and database management than Jack Bauer does, puzzling involves a lot more sitting and thinking than I am willing to accept.

Besides, I didn’t really want to hang out with those puzzle nerds anyway.

p.s. I did see two crossword puzzle ties, one crossword puzzle dress, and several puzzle-themed wall hangings. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home