9.05.2007

Larry Craig, Larry Craig's wife

Susie Bright has an interesting essay on the Suzanne Craig, wife of Larry, and the plight of the closeted man's wife. She briefly touches on the question of why people like Suzanne stick by people like Larry in the inevitable press conferences. One thing she mentions is the draw of "money and prestige" in keeping Mrs. Craig up there next to her husband. I think the other side of that coin, the willingness to deny anything because of the minuscule chance that it will avert disgrace, is just as strong. If I were, Suzanne Craig, and I were allowed to exit this whole thing quietly, I would do it in a second. However, that path is not open. It's either deny and hope for miracle, or accept the disgrace by standing up at that press conference, taking one step away from Larry and saying, "Yep. He's totes gay. Known for years. Whatareyougonndo? That wide stance bit sure was funny, though, eh?"

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Aw, now, see, I've got nothing but sympathy for the woman. Susie's right- she was either a knowledgable participant in the deception (which is what some political folks are saying) for whatever reason (likely, love or a comfortable life), or wondering what was wrong with her sex drive that she was more interested than him (been there), or unquestioningly happy enough that he wasn't always begging for it. Regardless of which deal she had for herself, they almost all involved only the 2 of them ever really knowing. The depth of her personal humiliation over the last week is something I would never want to experience.

I mean, having a lover/husband betray you is bad enough, and you spend time hoping that no one else knows but the 3 of you, or, at least, pretending to yourself that no one else does.

I'm pretty sure I've already said it once (in my own writing), but the betrayal is one hurt, and leaving is another, and the combination thereof is really, really difficult to contemplate all at once. As a woman, I would sorta love to see her win won for the team here by taking your advice, but having been there, I'm not sure even I could (and I'm 30 years younger and kind of a bitch).

18:19

 
Blogger Marcel Parcells said...

Oh, I wouldn't necessarily call it advice. I think I agree with you completely. She's pretty much stuck standing by her husband. Whether she knew or is feeling betrayed, she's left publicly humiliated because she's attached to him. Whether or not she wants to be standing beside him, the public damage has been done, so she might as well try to save a little face by sticking with him, which at the same time might be the thing that salvages whatever relationship she has with her husband.

Disavowing him at this point gets her nowhere, unless her only goal is to hurt him.

And yes, along with David Vitters wife, I do feel a lot of sympathy. Public humiliation is only fun when the person is very deserving.

20:49

 

Post a Comment

<< Home